Junior Derby/Micro Bruisers
The Brewcity Micro Bruisers had a big year in 2013, adding more skaters to the roster and becoming aligned with JRDA, the Junior Roller Derby Association. 2014 will be even bigger and better as we begin to scrimmage and play bouts against other teams!
Joining the Micro Bruisers
The Brewcity Micro Bruisers are open to girls between 8-17 years old interested in learning the sport of roller derby and working on skating and derby skills. Although no previous roller derby experience is required to participate, interested skaters should have basic forward skating skills and an athletic drive. Because there are various skill levels in the Micro Bruisers, anyone is able to start as a beginner and work their way up.
- Beginner Level and Level 1 practices have mostly no contact and focus on improving basic skating form, stops and safe falls.
- Level 2 and 3 practices begin to include blocking and jamming drills with contact and work on the strategy of the game. A skills test and written test are required to move up into higher levels to ensure that all skaters are safe and educated about the game.
The Micro Bruisers learn all the basics of roller derby in a controlled, age/skill level progression from current and former Brewcity Bruiser adult skaters.
Practices are held on Sunday evenings. Beginner and Level 1 skaters practice from 5-7 p.m. and Level 2 and 3 skaters practice from 7-9 p.m. All sessions last for 8 weeks.
- Session 1 – October 27, 2013 – December 22, 2013 (there will be no practice November 10th due to the WFTDA Championships being held at U.S. Cellular)
- Session 2 – January 12, 2014 – March 3, 2014
- Session 3 – March 23, 2014 – June 1, 2014 (there will be no practice April 20th due to Easter and May 25th due to Memorial Day)
The Micro Bruisers program is lead by veteran skaters Terror Lapinski and Dee Merit, along with many of the BCB’s top skater talents. Terror Lapinksi has over 18 years experience coaching competitive youth sports, and is an honor-roll member of the Professional Skating Association, the governing body for professional ice skating coaches around the world. Dee Merit has been a teacher for 10 years and has experience helping teach these kids the fundamentals of roller derby.
Safety first! We will have at least one CPR certified coach or league member available at each class, and there may be some additional skaters and/or league members to be a resource to help answer any skater or parent questions.
To register for Micro Bruisers, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. A registration form will be sent to you.
All practices are private to the skaters and coaches and are held at “the Bruisery” – the Brewcity Bruiser’s top-secret training facility, just minutes south of Downtown Milwaukee.
Junior Derby Gear Requirements
All participants are required to wear all of the following protective gear:
- Quad skates (figure or speed, but no roller blades)
- Helmet (multi-sport, hockey, or skateboarding)
- Wrist guards
- Elbow pads
- Knee Pads
- Mouth guard
Also, check out our Derby Gear Sponsors page for all your gear needs!
Micro Bruiser’s History
The Brewcity Micro Bruisers are Milwaukee’s first JUNIOR roller derby team. After 6 weeks of intense training, the Micro Bruisers made their competitive debut at the U.S. Cellular Arena in March 2012. Over 3,800 fans cheered as the kids played their first “mini-bout” as Micro Bruisers! In June 2012, they played in their first full-length game at the Brewcity Bruiser sponsored Midwest BrewHaHa roller derby expo.